Once used as cattle grazing land what is now Melbourne Village used to be the domain of cowboys, bovines and the native Space Coast wildlife.
Three woman from Ohio, Virginia Wood, Margaret Hutchinson and Elizabeth Nutting came to the area after WW2 with a dream to establish a community that fostered a simple lifestyle that was close to nature. A bold experiment in response to the hardships of the great depression the goal of this social experiment was to grow a self sufficient community. Many early residents cleared their land, built their own homes (some utilizing surplus military barracks) and ran small home businesses such as organic gardening, raising chinchillas, chickens etc to support their families.
Facing annexation by West Melbourne residents incorporated in 1957 and the Town of Melbourne Village was born.
The Eastern section of the town encompasses a portion of Erna Nixon Hammock whose namesake was a longtime village resident. She along with the junior league of Brevard and village residents convinced the county and state to purchase the land and establish the park.
Erna Nixon Hammock opened in 1976 and the 54 acre site is an oasis of pine flat woods and oak hammocks as well as key habitat for many native plants, birds, and animals, including gopher tortoises, indigo snakes, and bobcats.